fernandogarciaesteban/iStockBY: JULIA JACOBO, ABC NEWS(NEW YORK) — A number of students in one New York City borough have been randomly tested for COVID-19 despite the schools not receiving consent from their parents to do so.The New York City Department of Education has only received about 72,000 — or 20% — of the consent forms that were sent out for children returning to the classroom at the beginning of the school year, ABC New York station WABC-TV reported.However, some students have been tested anyway, according to the station.Several parents informed assembly member Mike Reilly, who represents South Shore of Staten Island, of the incidents, Reilly wrote on Facebook last week, adding that the Special Commissioner of Investigation “is looking into the matter.”One mother, Tina Angilletta, told WABC she felt her parental rights were violated.“I didn’t agree to anything. I didn’t consent to anything” Angellitta said. “So in that sense, I feel like my parental rights were violated.”The DOE is taking “additional steps” to ensure that students who have not been given permission to be tested do not receive one, such as making sure staff is using the most up-to-date consent lists, according to a statement.“This should have never happened and we are adjusting our protocols to ensure it does not happen again,” DOE Deputy Press Secretary Nathaniel Styer said.Experts are still unsure as to whether schools could serve as super-spreader sites for the virus.The testing “is a critical part of keeping in-person learning safe and healthy for students and staff,” Styer said.On Saturday, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced that targeting the spread of coronavirus would now be conducted “block-by-block” rather than at the statewide or regional level.Currently, there are no “red zone” areas in Staten Island, an interactive map by the city’s Department of Information Technology and Telecommunications shows.Neighborhoods in Queens and Brooklyn contain micro-clusters of the virus, as well as Orange and Rockland Counties outside the city.Despite the hot spots, New York has one of the lowest infection rates in the nation at a 1.1% average as of Saturday, Cuomo said.The city’s DOE did not provide additional comment to ABC News.Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.
Malaysian vessel operator EA Technique has lost a case against the compatriot engineering and construction firm Malaysia Marine Heavy Engineering (MMHE) and has been ordered to pay over $21.7 million.Illustration only: The North Malay Basin project location / Image by HessThe dispute stemmed from the two companies’ 2015 deal related to the EA Technique’s contract with Hess for the supply of an FSO vessel for its North Malay Basin project.In February 2015, EA Technique entered into an engineering, procurement, construction installation and commissioning contract with Hess to deliver a floating storage and offloading facility for deployment in the North Malay Basin, located approximately 150 km North East off the shore of Kota Bharu in the state of Kelantan.EA Technique then signed a deal with MMHE for where MMHE committed to carrying out the demolition, refurbishment, and conversion of a donor vessel into the FSO facility.As per the previous statements by EA Technique and MMHE disputes arose relating to invoices for additional work orders related to the FSO contract leading to the two companies laying claims against each other.While MMHE claimed it had not been paid for additional work carried out, EA Technique claimed it had overpaid for the original contract.MMHE on Wednesday said that on 27 May 2019, the Adjudicator allowed MMHE’s claim in the sum of $21,6 million “including goods and services tax of 6% to be paid [ by EA Technique] by 28 June 2019 with interest of 1.5% per month from 5 October 2018 until full and final settlement.”“EATech is also directed to pay all costs of the adjudication including MMHE’s cost. Further, EATech’s cross-claim and set off for the sum of USD87,200.00 was allowed whereas the remaining cross-claims were dismissed,” MMHE said.In a separate statement, EA Technique said: “The adjudication decision is not expected to have any potential business or operational impact on the company. At this juncture, the Adjudication Sum to be paid by the Company to MMHE has sufficiently been provided for in the Company’s accounts. The Company is in the midst of reviewing the Adjudication Decision to determine whether there are clear and unequivocal errors in the Adjudication Decision.”Offshore Energy Today StaffSpotted a typo? Have something more to add to the story? Maybe a nice photo? Contact our editorial team via email. Offshore Energy Today, established in 2010, is read by over 10,000 industry professionals daily. We had nearly 9 million page views in 2018, with 2.4 million new users. This makes us one of the world’s most attractive online platforms in the space of offshore oil and gas and allows our partners to get maximum exposure for their online campaigns. If you’re interested in showcasing your company, product or technology on Offshore Energy Today contact our marketing manager Mirza Duran for advertising options. read more
MourinhoLondon, United Kingdom | AFP | Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp believes Jose Mourinho remains a world class coach and a threat to his side’s unbeaten Premier League record when the European champions travel to Tottenham on Saturday.A massive 28-point gap separates the sides that contested the Champions League final just seven months ago with Liverpool running away with the title, while sixth-placed Spurs’ ambition is just to make it back into the top four.Mourinho’s honeymoon period in north London is over after a run of just two wins in Tottenham’s last seven games, but he has consistently been a thorn in Liverpool’s side with Chelsea and Manchester United in the past.“Jose Mourinho is a world-class manager with a specific mindset. I would say he wants to win with all he has. I respect that a lot,” said Klopp.“That means each situation his team is in, he tries to use for his team.”Klopp picked up his fourth Premier League manager of the month prize of the season on Friday as reward for navigating a gruelling December schedule across four different competitions without dropping a point.Liverpool are 13 points clear with a game in hand over closest challengers Leicester and Manchester City as they seem destined to end a 30-year wait to win the league. However, Trent Alexander-Arnold, who picked up the player of the month award, insists they cannot afford to get over-excited.“We know we can’t get too excited and we know that nothing has been won yet. If we want to be a successful team then we have to keep going until the end,” said the England international.“Obviously we are in a good position, which is something that we can’t ignore. We’re playing well, we’re on a good run of form but we can’t take that for granted because there are shock results week in, week out in the Premier League.“If we get our mentality and the game-plan right then we know that with the quality that we’ve got then we’re confident going into games. But we can’t be overly-confident and arrogant. We need to know our quality and make sure we produce it.”Klopp confirmed that James Milner and Naby Keita will miss the trip to Tottenham due to muscle injuries.Fabinho and Dejan Lovren are also not ready to return, but could be fit for the visit of Manchester United next weekendShare on: WhatsApp read more